Performance series sponsored by:
Auditions for A Christmas Story (Holiday show at PV Concert Hall)
Plot Summary: Humorist Jean Shepherd’s memoir of growing up in the Midwest in the 1940s follows 9-year-old Ralphie Parker in his quest to get a genuine Red Ryder BB gun under the tree for Christmas. Ralphie pleads his case before his mother, his teacher, and even Santa Claus himself, at Higbee’s Department Store. The consistent response: “You’ll shoot your eye out!” All the elements from the beloved motion picture are here, including the family’s temperamental exploding furnace; Scut Farkas, the school bully; the boys’ experiment with a wet tongue on a cold lamppost; the Little Orphan Annie decoder pin; Ralphie’s father winning a lamp shaped like a woman’s leg in a net stocking; Ralphie’s fantasy scenarios and more.
Please note the roles of Mother, The Old Man and Narrator will be played by guest artists.
• RALPHIE PARKER (9 – 12 years old) A regular kid – cute but not overly handsome, not precious. He wouldn’t be lost in a crowd, but he wouldn’t stand out either. Bright, but not precocious; the boy next door. Ralphie above all is a dreamer. Seeking a young boy who is comfortable and honest on stage.
MOTHER (Adult Female) She is more in charge than she would ever let anyone know. Warm but tough. Strong willed, straight forward, no nonsense, likable, midwestern – a kind of every-mom.
• RANDY (8 – 10 years old) Ralphie’s younger brother. Can be a bit awkward and offbeat; admires his big brother, Ralphie, but won’t admit it. Seeking a young boy who is comfortable and honest on stage, cute, cuddly, & whiny but not a brat.
• MISS SHIELDS (Adult Female) She is Ralphie’s elementary school teacher.
• FLICK (9 – 12 years old) Ralphie’s best friend and classmate. Sticks his tongue to the flagpole.
• SCHWARTZ (9 – 12 years old) Ralphie’s best friend and classmate.
• ESTHER JANE ALBERRY (9 – 12 years old) Ralphie’s classmate. Has a crush on Ralphie.
• HELEN WEATHERS (9 – 12 years old) Ralphie’s classmate. Very smart.
• SCUT FARKAS (12 – 14 years old) The school bully.